Monday 7 April 2008

Romantic Lunch


The point of all this is that one of the most important secrets must be preparing food and eating it together.
Not for a special occasion but regularly.

For a change on Sunday, I made a Ratatouille and Black-eyed beans with Mango Pickle.
Our boys didn't like the beans much but the Ratatouille was a revelation.

I used a recipe inspired by Roopa Gulati, Pan Fried Ratatouille.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/panfriedratatouille_9975.shtml
I was attracted because it substitutes Coriander leaf for the usual Rosemary.
I don't dislike Rosemary but it does seems to overpower the dish sometimes (I could use less, I suppose?). I love Coriander!

I followed Roopa's recipe line for line but added the juice of a full-sized lemon. I skipped the chili as it's too strong for the boys, left out the saffron and left in the tomato seeds (why take them out?).

As I mentioned, we enjoyed it, but the boys passed on the beans.

The point of all this? We finished off the leftovers for lunch at work today. Of course we enjoyed the food, but after a hectic morning the half hour we stole to eat together was a highspot in my day (hopefully OUR day!).

So I was inspired when later this evening, after a lovely supper of Tandori Chicken, new potatoes, salad and the last of the ratatouille, Carola asked what we'd have for lunch tomorrow. Aaagrh! No leftovers!!!

I half thought about just grabbing a sandwich for lunch, but then I remembered how pleasant it had been sitting and eating the good food we had prepared.

So I made a quick Penne Carbonara!

2 small cups of Penne pasta
oil
1 medium onion
50g diced bacon
50ml cream
1 tablespoon grated cheese (Emmental)

Cook the pasta according to instructions (11-12 minutes for dry pasta), add a splash of oil to stop the pasta sticking. Add salt to taste.

Meanwhile. Dice the onion and fry in oil for 3-4 minutes. Add the diced bacon and continue frying for another 3-4 minutes.
Add cream, simmer. Add cheese and stir, if the sauce seems too thick add a little more cream. the sauce should coat the penne easily and not be too gooey.

Add the penne to the the sauce stir to coat evenly.

I deposited the mix into a microwave proof container and allowed to cool before putting on the lid.


Looking forward to lunch tomorrow...

No comments: